TUG 2020 conference at RIT cancelled
Unfortunately, due to the global health situation, the TUG board has
decided we must
cancel the TUG'20 conference at RIT. All registration
fees will be refunded.
We are discussing the possibility of organizing an online conference
for 2020 instead. We also hope it will be possible to schedule TUG 2021
at RIT. Information will be forthcoming about either of these as it
Meanwhile, you might enjoy this ~6min video from the RIT Cary Graphics
Jacquard Loom: A Study in Book Production. (There would have been a
talk about the book produced on the loom, Les Laboureurs, at the
The rest of these pages remain for any historical interest.
the TeX world
Typography & typesetting, fonts & design, publishing and more
TUG 2020: July 24-26, 2020 cancelled
The 41st Annual Meeting of the TeX Users Group
Cary Graphic Arts Collection -
Rochester Institute of Technology
90 Lomb Memorial Drive -
Rochester, NY 14623, USA
(phone +1 585-475-3961)
(specific room tbd)
Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
175 Jefferson Road -
Rochester, NY 14623, USA
(phone +1 585-475-1910)
Conference registration and information
Dates and deadlines
- May 10 - deadline for abstracts for presentation
- May 15 - deadline for early bird registration discount.
- May 15, 2020 - bursary
application (financial assistance) deadline.
- July 1 - deadline for hotel reservations at our group discount.
Booking your hotel room early is highly advisable.
- July 1 - deadline for preprints to be in the printed program.
- July 23, 9am-1:00 pm - calligraphy
workshop, led by Kris Holmes and Lorrie Frear.
- July 23, 4-6:00 pm - opening reception at the Cary Graphic Arts Collection.
- July 24-26 - TUG conference, Friday–Sunday.
- July 24 - LaTeX workshop (Friday),
concurrent with regular talks.
- July 24 - TeXShop tips and
tricks (Friday), post-session, informal Mac workshop.
- July 25, evening (tbd) - banquet at University Gallery, RIT.
- August 3 - deadline for final papers for the printed
- The conference will be held near the Cary Graphic Arts Collection, the noted
library on graphic communication history and practices, at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), in
Rochester, New York, USA.
- A shuttle will be provided from the hotel to the venue in the morning,
and back to the hotel at the end of the day. It's also feasible to walk
(about a mile) if you wish.
- For flights: the international airport is ROC (Rochester). The hotel
provides a shuttle to/from the airport.
- Rooms are reserved for TUG conference participants at the Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport. (Despite the name, the hotel is
adjacent to RIT, not actually at the airport.) You can make the reservation online (adjust dates at the top, default is
July 23-27), or by phone at 1-800-333-3333 in the US (see their web
site for Radisson's many international phone numbers; our conference
code is TUGWIT).
- The conference rate is available for up to three days before and
three days after the conference (thus, July 21-29 in all).
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the conference rate and are
guaranteed only until July 1. As always, the sooner you book your
reservation the better.
- Rooms must be cancelled at least 24 (better 48) hours prior to
arrival to avoid charges.
- The opening reception will be at the Cary Graphic Arts Collection, from
4-6pm on July 23. Transportation to/from the hotel will be
provided. Details will be sent to participants.
- Breakfast at the hotel is included with the room reservation.
- Lunches and breaks will be provided during the conference, July
24-26, at no additional charge. (For the calligraphy workshop
before the conference, on July 23, before the conference, only a
break is included; workshop participants will be on their own for
- Dinners are not included with the conference registration or hotel
reservation, but are available at the hotel and several restaurants
- We'll have a banquet (optional extra) on Saturday evening at the University Gallery in Booth
Hall, RIT. Transportation to/from the hotel
will be provided.
We hope to have a group tour of the Cary at some time during the
conference, if scheduling permits. In addition to the Cary web site, Dave Walden wrote a short
description of the
Cary for TUGboat.
We don't plan to organize any other
group excursions. Please take a look at the travel
page for some of the area attractions you may be interested in.
the TeX Users Group,
the Cary Graphic Arts Collection
at the Rochester Institute of Technology,
STM Document Engineering Pvt Ltd,
and individual donors.
Thanks to all.
New sponsors are greatly
appreciated, as is mentioning the conference to colleagues and in any
We'd also appreciate any dissemination of this
one-page PDF flyer (letter-size).
Many thanks to Maggie Blaisdell at RIT for designing our flyer this year.
$Date: 2020/05/03 22:24:57 $;
previous TUG meeting -
all TeX meetings